A few weekends ago
I was avoiding cleaning the house the boys needed something new and different to occupy their time so we decided to make home made playdough!
Ingredients for this classic playdough recipe:
- plain white flour – 1 cup
- salt – 0.5 cups
- cream of tartar – 2 tsp (you can substitute 2 tbsp of baking soda)
- water – 1 cup
- cooking oil – 1 tsp (if you use baking soda, add 1 tbsp of oil instead of 1 tsp)
- food coloring
Directions for this classic playdough recipe:
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork in a mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth and one solid color
- Pour the mixture into a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir until smooth and then until playdough bunches up to form a ball
- Take it out of the pan and allow the playdough to cool
- Knead for a few minutes and store in an airtight container
After I mixed all the ingredients together, it was a smooth texture like this:
and then as it begin to boil it started to thinken and turned into this:
We added some food color (as selected by the artists themselves) and soon we were having a great time creating our masterpieces.
Their ultimate mission ended with creating a long snake that wrapped around the entire kitchen table. It started with this one and then continued on in a variety of colors.
The playdough was easy to make and provided the boys with several hours of playdough fun! This is a project we’ll definitely be doing again soon.