I came across this recipe via Pinterest and tried it last night. It was originally published by Chaos in the Kitchen and after making this recipe I can guarantee I’ll be making more of them from this site.
Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
serves 4, prep 5 minutes, cook time 30 minutes
- 8 oz fettuccine or linguine pasta noodles
- 10 tbsp butter, divided (yes 10 tbsp, this is not a typo!!)
- 8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 cup boiling water (from your noodle pot)
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (I used frozen shrimp)
- Boil and salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta. I usually only use about half of an 8 oz box, preferring fewer noodles.
- While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp if necessary and reserve. If your shrimp are pre-cooked and frozen, quickly thaw them under running water.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs. At this point, I generally feel like something has gone terribly wrong. The cream cheese doesn’t really melt and starts to look almost curdled, don’t worry about it! It will all smooth out and be wonderful when we add the water. I promise.
- Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring quickly to smooth out the sauce.
- Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about 10 minutes-you wont ruin this sauce by accidentally boiling it so don’t worry.
- Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.