Mom vs. Legos

Post to Twitter .

We are living in the middle of a Lego craze right now.  A serious Lego craze.

It all started last August when I went to Minnesota for a little vacation with the boys.  We went to Lego Land at Mall of America and the boys had a blast.  I called Jim and said “The time has come.  You can go buy some big boy Legos.”

There was silence on the other end of the phone.  Silence mainly because he was too busy doing a happy dance to respond.

We arrived back in Atlanta a week later to several new sets of big boy Legos.  The boys were thrilled.  And by boys I am including Jim too.

Ryan’s birthday came and we received more Legos.  Christmas came and we received even more Legos.

After Christmas sales came and we purchased even more Legos.

Then Jim came home from work one day and had purchased a boat load more Legos from a co-worker whose kids had outgrown them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I’m drowning in Legos.  They are everywhere.  Every time I step I scream “ouch” because those darn Lego pieces are sharp and uncomfortable as they dig into your feet.

I have vacuumed up several pieces. But shhh…. don’t tell anyone. The boys would be upset if they knew.  And yes, I’m including Jim in this too.

They are everywhere.

When I would complain to friends about the mess they would laugh as if I was kidding.  Does this look like I’m kidding?!

mobile upload

See.  I’m not kidding.  Not even a little teeny tiny bit.  We have Legos everywhere.  And this is only one room of our house.  We have several others that look very similar to this.

Well, that is until last weekend.  I couldn’t take it anymore.

I.HAD.TO.ORGANIZE.IMMEDIATELY.

Off to Target I went and several hours later the room looked like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aaaaahhhhh….. I can breathe again.  Oh, and walk.

But now what am I supposed to do with all of our old Duplo Legos?  How do I determine a fair price for selling them?  There is a fire station set, police station, some Toy Story sets, Disney Car sets, a school bus, a firetruck, construction trucks, a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse set and several of the buckets of blocks.  Do I list them on ebay?  Craigslist?  And for what price?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the Duplos so we have more room for the big boy Legos in this house?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

1. I love the fact that you organized them by color…brilliant! And what an amazing feeling knowing that everything is picked up and put away. Awesome!

2. I understand the Lego war very well! I even named my blog after those stupid things!! :)

3. OMG… I wasn’t sure if you got into MY house or not (3 boys and a bazillion Legos!) UNTIL I saw your organizing containers! You are a freakin’ GENIUS. I love that idea. I’m totally copying that idea.
    You saved my sanity.
    You RAWK!

• Typical Suburban Family says:

LOL! I highly suggest copying this idea because it has definitely saved my sanity. LOVE IT!!! And the best part is that the container are $1 a piece so 20 of them only cost $20. BARGAIN! Good luck! I’ll be heading over to your blog to subscribe via GFC and hope you’ll do the same. Be sure to send me a link when you write your blog post on your organization system!

4. That is a lot of legos! Funny, to me it actually seems like more when I see it all organized. Sometimes my girls can make a huge mess, but once I have it all put away it doesn’t look like that much stuff. Love the bins and you did a great job.

• Typical Suburban Family says:

I agree it does look like more once it is organized. The funny thing is that in the photos I could only capture one part of the room in one part of the house. The Legos were EVERYWHERE in the house though!!!

5. Hey! What am I gonna play with when I come next if you get rid of them? The new ones better be as much fun! : /

• Typical Suburban Family says:

Trust me when I tell you that you will enjoy these Legos so much more than the Duplos. We have about 100 times more and they are all different sizes and shapes and you can build whatever your imagination creates. You’ll have a blast!!!

6. I am in Atlanta… as are you… :)
    I would love to know how much you want for them…
    Might be just what we need around here…
    (and I could probably go pick them up from you!)
    Just a thought…

• Typical Suburban Family says:

They are so much fun! We enjoyed them so much and would still play them if we didn’t switch to the big boy version. Send me an email to jean@myhellodesigns.com and let me know what you would offer for them. I’d be happy to meet up with you whenever. We probably have $500+ worth of Duplos. Ridiculous I know. It’s one of the large Rubbermaid bins full of them plus a few others that don’t fit inside the bin.

7. Did I ever tell you about the huge moving box of lego pieces we had at our house for years? Your husband has always loved legos and it looks like the boys are taking after him… God bless you for your organization!! Love you guys!

• Typical Suburban Family says:

Ah yes. I have heard of this lego collection over and over from Jim. He still enjoys them as much as he did when he was a young boy. Haha! Love you guys too!

8. My boys have always loved Legos, too! We have a huge bin of them, and they never cease to amaze me with their inventions.

• Typical Suburban Family says:

I have just as much fun building as they do actually! It’s great family time in our house. When they are organized that is :-)

9. I feel like I could have written this post! Legos are everywhere in our house. My three boys (especially my six year old) are completely addicted to them. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stepped on one without looking. I love your organization system, mine involves one very large bucket.

thanks so much for stopping by yesterday and leaving such a thoughtful comment. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

• Typical Suburban Family says:

I tried the one large bucket approach but the hubby would dump them out all over to “build” stuff and it drove me nuts!! Hope your week is starting off great! Thanks for the comment.

10. oh my…my son (6) would be in heaven! he has just gotten into legos the past few months & he LOVES them. we live on an island so can’t buy them here but he’s excited to add to his collection when we’re back in the US/Canada! (just popped over from mom loop to follow your blog & so glad i did!)

Rebecca

• Typical Suburban Family says:

Thanks Rebecca – I’m heading over to your blog now. Enjoy building that collection!! Have fun!

11. I had to reread this to make sure I didn’t actually write it. I’ve got three boys and the same exact problem. Legos EVERYWHERE. I am highly impressed with your organization. I’ve pretty much just tossed them all into one massive bucket.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful comment yesterday. I hope you have a wonderful end to the week and that your floors stay lego free!

12. I might be interested in the Duplos. I don’t know how much they would be to ship. Let me know though.

That is a lot of Legos! Great organizing.

I would LOVE to hear from you!

%d bloggers like this: