Owen’s on the Mend

Post to Twitter .

He came through his surgery with flying colors.  It was a long day on Thursday, but he’s on the mend now and back to his spunky and happy go lucky self.

If you know Owen or have read any of my previous posts, you know how much the kid likes food.  And how stubborn he is.  So waking him up in the morning and not bringing in a warm cup of milk for him to drink in his crib started the day off on a bad note.  He screamed and cried for “Mi” (which translates to milk).  We distracted him enough to forget about his usual warm cup of milk only to head downstairs and have him scream and cry for “nak” (which translates to snack).

Again, we distracted him enough to get him to the car only to have him scream and cry all the way to the surgery center because he wanted a “ca-ca” (which translates to cracker).  We were pretty stressed by the time we arrived because we had a little 18 month old who had been crying since he woke up that morning.  Ugh.

Luckily, they were pretty quick and got us back to pre-op and started to prep us for surgery.  That portion went really well and no tears were shed.  Well, until they took Owen from us to bring him back to surgery.  Owen SCREAMED at the top of his lungs while reaching for us with this confused, desperate look.  Yep, mommy lost it too.

The surgery only took about 45 minutes or so which went by fast.  Having Grandad Jim and Grandmom Janice there to chat with helped pass the time.  It was nice to have them there with us.

The doctor came out and said the surgery went perfect.  Awesome.  That’s what we wanted to hear.

I’ll spare you the details of the post op, IVs, bloody eyes and flailing, screaming child.  But I’m sure you can imagine that it wasn’t pretty.  It wasn’t fun.  And mommy almost passed out. Luckily daddy held it together to get Owen dressed and out of there.

Owen spent most of the day snuggled in mommy’s arms sleeping.  It was just what Owen and mommy needed.   By night time he was coming around and showing more signs of his spunky self.

The surgeon, Dr. Stephen Lipsky from Thomas Eye Group was amazing.  He was so kind and gentle and concerned for us.  He handled Owen and us so well and really put us at ease.  He gave us a level of comfort that was needed to make this whole ordeal less stressful.  And the best part was that around 9:15pm the night of Owen’s surgery, Dr. Lipsky personally called us to see how Owen was doing and to see if we had any questions.  He didn’t ask one of his nurses or techs to call.  He personally picked up the phone and called us.  Amazing.

And now today, other than having bloody eyes still you wouldn’t even know he had surgery.  He is doing great!  The risk of infection is still really high so we are staying in all weekend.  This ought to be interesting especially since our Atlanta Spring weather has been AWESOME the last few days.  It’s been so warm and sunny.  I love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails


  1. I’m so glad to hear that it went well and that Owen is getting better! You guys have been in my thoughts lately. We miss you!

  2. I am so thrilled to hear that everything went so well. I know this has been a big concern of your’s for months, and now it’s done! Hey, if you were in MN, it wouldn’t be too hard to stay inside (you must miss this weather, right?? 🙂 ) I’ll be thinking of you all and can’t wait to hear how the rest of the recovery goes!

I would LOVE to hear from you!

%d bloggers like this: