Another Ear Infection for Owen….

Post to Twitter .

With Owen’s last ear infection just before our vacation to Disney World, Dr. Beckford gave us a referral to an ENT. I immediately made his appointment and they were already booking 6 weeks out. We were scheduled to see Dr. Thompsen on May 5 at Scottish Rite. I called the scheduler back several times to see if we could get in sooner and everytime I was told “Sorry, no. We don’t have a cancellation list and there is nothing sooner than that.”

Finally I was begging and pleading and told the scheduler my long sob story of how many ear infections this poor little guy has had and how he is now allergic to Augmentin, the only thing that seemed to work to get rid of them. I was practically in tears and told her how within four days of being off of antibiotics, he would get any one. I believe 4 or 5 days is the longest he has gone without an ear infection. I explained to her that if we have to wait 4 more weeks for the consultation and then another 2-3 weeks for the tubes to be scheduled, we were risking having another 4-6 ear infections.

She again told me that they don’t have a wait list or cancellation list, but that she would personally put a post-it note on her computer and if she received (or noticed) a cancellation, she would immediately call me. I wasn’t sure if she actually would, but it definitely made me feel better.
Much to my surprise we received a phone call 2 business days later! She had a cancellation and we could get in to see Dr. Thompsen in TWO days! We were thrilled and of course took it. There was some schedule re-arranging to do, but it didn’t matter as long as Owen would be seen quicker.

Owen did really well at his appointment even though we had to be in Alpharetta by 8am. If anyone knows Atlanta, they know that Mableton (where we live) to Alpharetta (exit 10 none-the-less) is nowhere near each other. And to have to be there by 8am during rush hour traffic, well that just adds to the fun of the commute. The GPS said it would take 45 minutes and that was without traffic. It ended up not being too bad, but it was still very early in the morning and mommy didn’t have any coffee before she left. Plus daddy was home sick so he wasn’t much help getting everyone ready and out the door earlier than we need to be on a normal workday (which is REALLY early as well).

Owen had to do a hearing test and they put him and mommy in a sound proof room and Owen had to turn his head when he would hear the sound coming from a particular speaker. It was pretty funny to watch him do this. It was even more amusing because there was a little glass window and we could see the lady sitting there doing the test. Owen kept wanting to watch her and didn’t want to pay attention to the sounds. But when he’d hear the sounds, he would quickly turn and look at the speaker and then get a confused look on his face because you could tell he was expecting to see the lady standing there and she wasn’t there. Nobody was there, but a wall. So then he’d quickly look back over at the lady through the window and smile one of his big O-wee smiles as if to say “You got me again. I thought you were going to be over there this time for sure.”

He passed the hearing test except for the very last sound. Mind you, I didn’t even hear it so I don’t worry too much about Owen not hearing it. Plus at that point he could have cared less that the sounds were coming out of the speakers. He was playing with his hands and trying to grab mommy’s hair and was trying to pull his socks off. He wasn’t amused with the lady’s reindeer games anymore. I’m actually pretty sure he heard the sound, he just didn’t care and therefore didn’t look.
The lady wasn’t concerned at all either so I’m not worried. She said he did awesome and that he passed. Good job O-wee.

The doctor was amazed with Owen. He kept saying what a great, mellow, calm, cute and sweet kid he was. He even told me stories about his two girls and how different they were and that their second was mellow just like Owen. The guy was very talkative and chatty. I really liked him. Owen did too until the doctor decided to stick something in his ear to get the wax out. Then the doctor dropped off Owen’s “Fan of List” He liked him even less when he moved to the other ear which of course had developed an infection in.

So again, we’re on antibiotics for 10 days. That’s the bad news. The good news is that Owen is scheduled to have his tubes on May 6 at Children’s Hospital of Atlanta at Scottish Rite Surgery Center at Meridian Mark (or some long name similar to that). We won’t receive our surgery time until the day prior, but the doctor assured me that it would be prior to 9:30am since they schedule according to age and he’s so young.

Please pray that the surgery goes well (the actual procedure is only about 15-20 minutes), but he does have to be put under so there is always a risk. Also pray that the tubes do the trick for him and help with all these ear infections. This won’t stop him from getting them, but it should definitely reduce the quantity of them and will make treating them so much easier. He won’t have to be on so many antibiotics all the time and we won’t have to worry as much about his hearing being impacted by all the infections. And also pray that he won’t develop another ear infection prior to surgery since his current round of antibiotics will be ending 4 days prior to surgery day.

Owen is just such a little trouper! He is such a great kiddo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

I would LOVE to hear from you!

%d bloggers like this: